Tuesday, March 8, 2016

I'm a Work at Home Mom, But I Still Use My Crock Pot

Most of my friends work outside of their homes. That's not unusual. There are a few of us, however, who have chosen to stay at home with our young children. We're the minority, but still not unusual.
What should be considered unusual is the discovery recently uncovered among my group of busy female friends. 'We-who-work-at-home' utilize our crock pots approximately 75% more frequently than those who have traditional j.o.b.s.! This statistic is of course in no way official, just a quick sampling of local gals; but a shocker nonetheless. We also thought the new 'cupcake carrier' was awesome. Go figure.

Crock Pot

Why then, do the 'moms-who-work' choose to neglect the one piece of equipment capable of solving a multitude of meal-planning/creation problems with just the flip of a button? After a brief survey, I have concluded that their error in meal prep judgment stems from merely a lack of information. Even in the twenty-first century, a large number of intelligent mothers still think that the lowly crock pot stashed away in their attics is useful only on occasions calling for 'meatball appetizers' or baked beans to take to 'Aunt Shirley's' house on Labor Day. What? How can this be? Naturally this information gave way to many shouts of 'oh, no' and 'my goodness' from the 'moms-who-stay-home' but yet use their slow cookers religiously.

I too used to be one of the 'fast cookers' who worked away from home. During those years I probably used my crock pot two or three times a year. We also ate way more fast-food in those days than we do now. Running around like I did from job to home to kid activity, it's a wonder we weren't malnourished. Dominoes did a very brisk business on our street as well.

Strangely enough, many folks believe that since I'm home all day, just playing with kids and checking my email (yeah right,) meals should be a total breeze. Heck, to hear them tell it I should be preparing gourmet meals everyday with a smile on my face while sporting a pearl necklace and high heels. Again I say, 'what?' Hello, twenty-first century here people. If we're working at home these days, most likely you're finding us not only minding our young children, but simultaneously running successful home businesses. Without some effective meal planning, we'd still be keeping the pizza delivery guy running in style.

So how does the crock pot make life easier? Not rocket science folks. I don't even spend time planning out a month's worth of meals. As long as I have a good supply and variety of meats and other staples in my kitchen, along with some simple crock pot recipes that my family will actually eat, I'm set. Getting it all started in the morning takes anywhere from five to ten minutes. While I'm making coffee and listening to my little ones enjoy yet again another episode of 'Dora', I plop the ingredients into the pot, and after putting the lid on and setting the button on low, I'm done. There's nothing more to think about, and my house smells fantastic all day long.

Get that crock pot down from the attic, dust it off, or better yet clean it first, find yourself some delicious recipes and you'll be on your way to joining the ranks of the moms of the 'Slow Cooking Renaissance.' Enlighten yourselves to the benefits of crock pot cooking and watch your lives improve and your families beam with joy as they devour your results.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/expert/Sherry_Frewerd/4774

No comments:

Post a Comment