Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Super Easy Chicken Dinner in the Crockpot

It all started back in 2003 right after I had my second daughter. I was working out of the home, and my commute was an hour each day. It was really annoying getting stuck in traffic, and then having to pick up the kids from the sitter and still having to make dinner! And after dinner, I still needed to give the kids a bath, and do all my other nightly activities.

Chicken

My mom introduced me to the crock-pot, and it was a major lifesaver! I could throw a bunch of food in there, and voila! Dinner when I came home from work! Plus, the smell alone is divine! I love walking into my house after it has been on all day long and the smell! Sometimes I wonder how my dog can handle the smell! Does she want to jump on the counter and see what kind of yummy goodness is cooking in there?

Anyways, the crock-pot was extremely useful to me while I was working outside the home so I didn't have to worry about cooking. But I still use mine now, even though I am back working at my home office. There are just some things that are so much better cooked in there (stews, chili, chicken!).

I am the type of person though that loves easy recipes (less than 5 ingredients). Yes, I know the whole point of the crock-pot is you don't actually have to "cook" anything, so who cares how many ingredients it is. Well, maybe I don't want to go to the store and buy a whole bunch of weird ingredients that I will only use for one recipe? I know I can't be the only one that thinks that way.
Here is one of the easiest crock-pot recipes I make. My family loves it.
Ingredients:

4-6 chicken breasts (thawed) or more depending on the size of your family.
Large jar of your favorite salsa (I like to use the black bean and corn salsa that is from Pampered Chef)
1/2 cup of water
Soft shell tortillas (optional)
Your crock-pot
Directions:

1.) Place your chicken breasts at the bottom.
2.) Pour entire jar of salsa over the chicken breasts.
3.) Pour the 1/2 cup of water surrounding the chicken (this is an optional step. I like to add water to it just to make sure it doesn't burn).
4.) Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
5.) My family likes to eat these as regular chicken breasts and we add the extra salsa on top when I serve it (like a dressing or a sauce). You can also shred the chicken right in the crock-pot (it is really tender, so a fork will slice through it so easily), and serve on a tortilla shell and eat like a chicken taco.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/expert/Jamie_Lindemulder/354162

No comments:

Post a Comment