Saturday, March 5, 2016

How to Make Tuscan Chicken in a Crockpot

Do you want an easy to make, slow cooker chicken breast recipe that meets all the requirements of a healthy bodybuilding meal? Maybe on that when you eat the chicken literally flakes apart with eat mouthwatering bite? If the answer is YES! Save me from yet another boiled, tasteless, dry chicken meal, then Tuscan Chicken is the answer.

 Chicken in a Crockpot

I started making this at 10:34am. It took about 15 minutes TOTAL to prep and get it into the Slow Cooker (Crock Pot). After that, I set it to Low per the instructions and headed to the gym.
6.5 hours late, dinner was ready. Best of all? I didn't really have to plan dinner. It was ready I needed my next meal and I could smell the Tuscan Chicken cooking the entire time. Seriously, it smelled really awesome!

First Impressions:
Chicken literally flaked off with each fork bite. The tomatoes added a good flavor, the juices kept the chicken moist. It was HOT (not spicy) but cooked thru. I paired this with a Schild Estate Barbossa 2008 Shiraz. Sorry but I am a red wine fan. I'm still savoring the experience. Yes folks, it was that good.
If you don't have a slow cooker or a Crock Pot or a setting on your oven... get one. They aren't that expensive and I've come to find that having dinner ready is one less meal to prepare and it's extremely.. let me say EXTREMELY nice to have a moist, tender, fully cooked chicken breast FLAKE off with eat bite. Not to mention it packs a serious bodybuilding dosage of muscle building goodness.

Tuscan Chicken:
Makes 4 Servings

Ingredients:
• 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (4oz each)
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 1/4 cup chopped onion
• 1/2 red bell pepper, cut into strips
• 1/2 green bell pepper, cut into strips
• 1/2 can (8oz or 220g) black beans, drained
• 1 tomato, diced
• 1/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
• 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
• 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
• 1 clove garlic, crushed
• Salt and pepper

Notes: I used a Leek as I dislike onions. Even for those who do not like the taste or the thought of onions, using a Leek worked out perfectly. I used 2 organic Roma tomatoes, diced. While a friend suggested using diced tomatoes from the can, that would increase the sodium. I loved the taste of fresh, organic Roma tomatoes. 2 of them filled the crock pot nicely. 3 would have been possible. Do not use a Beefsteak tomato. Not enough authentic flavor. I trimmed ALL the fat off the chicken breasts.

Directions:
1. Put the onion, peppers, and beans in a slow cooker.
2. Place the chicken on top of the vegetables and beans.
3. In a bowl, stir together the olive oil, tomatoes, broth, vinegar, oregano, garlic, a bit of salt and pepper.
4. Pour the mixture over the chicken.
5. Cover the slow cooker, set it to low.
6. Let it cook for 6 to 7 hours.

Quick Tip:
6.5 hours worked 100%. Any longer and it might be dry. Any shorter and it wouldn't have been so flaky.
Nutritional Facts:
(Per Serving)
• Calories: 295
• Protein: 33g
• Carbohydrates: 25g
• Fat: 7g

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/expert/Marc_David/3045

No comments:

Post a Comment